Many times it is a necessity to have multiple versions of SolidWorks installed on a computer serving as a Task Host for Enterprise PDM. One common problem with this type of Task Host is that an older version of SolidWorks may be set as the default application for SolidWorks file types. Since the older version of SolidWorks will fail to open the newer SolidWorks files the task requested by EPDM will fail.
Here are two adjustments that administrators can add to any Convert Task to help address this issue:
- Navigate to the specific Convert task in the Enterprise PDM Administration application.
- Open the task and select the ‘Output File Details’ settings section.
- Select the ‘Advanced Scripting Options’.
- Add the following statement to the script as shown: swApp.Visible = True
This will force SolidWorks to be visible during the conversion which can be helpful to see if the task properly launches the required client-side version of SolidWorks.
- Select the appropriate version of SolidWorks to use from the highlighted pull-down menu.
- Using the <Use default> option may cause the wrong version of SolidWorks to launch. Specifying the correct version can prevent a task failure due to future file version issues.